Twisted Kisser Part 2

As I sit here typing this I can hear the thunder in the distance. I guess the weather forecasters were right, but I’m glad I didn’t risk it.

The brew finished up some time around 2:00 and I even managed to get the grass cut as well.

I was ecstatic that the numbers for my Memorial Day IPA were dead on. It made me feel like I’m finally figuring out my system and how to get the most out of it. I really couldn’t have asked for more,  but today I got it.  My pre-boil gravity was 4 points higher than I had expected and the measured OG going into the conical was 3 points higher as well. That’s all fine and dandy,  but what does this mean? From what I can tell, some of the tweaks that I’ve made to my process have made the system more efficient than I have been anticipating when designing my recipes.

While a few points higher could potentially lead to a higher ABV, at this point the increase would be fairly small. However,  if this trend continues it would mean that I could cut back on the amount of grain used each time to get the desired ABV. With the amount of beer I make it really doesn’t mean much, but if I were a commercial brewery the effects over the course of a year would be huge.

Numbers are just that and time will tell if it’s a good beer or not. In a few short days I’ll be able to get a better idea of where it stands.  So far the signs are good.

Twisted Kisser

Here I sit,  brewing under the porch…again. There is a threat of heavy storms this afternoon so I decided to set up under the safety of the porch…again.

20150607_110139

Today I’m brewing this year’s batch of what Kerry named Twisted Kisser.

Last year’s Twisted Kisser was an extract beer. But this year I’m making it as an all grain. The recipe from last year was a very basic beer with a low amount of hops and the zest of some oranges, lemons, and limes. After brewing the Debbie Does Amarillo Dirty Blonde Ale I decided that would be the basis for the Twisted Kisser. I may make some changes with subsequent batches,  but the DDADBA seemed like a good starting point.

My goal in creating the Twisted Kisser last year was a lower ABV citrus beer similar to a Summer Shady that wasn’t overly sweet.  It was supposed to be a beer for a hot summer day,  a lawnmower beer.  It turned out good,  but I severely underestimated the power of just a couple limes. Lime was the dominating flavor and that’s not what I wanted. I plan on cutting back on the lime by quite a bit. Hopefully this batch will be more balanced and closer to my original goal.

Well, the winds are picking up and my mash rest is almost done. Time to get back to work.  I have a feeling the storms are going to roll in a bit earlier than they had forecasted.